For Christmas eve, we were asked to come up with some kind of a vegetable side dish to go with dinner, and since I had all the ingredients on hand for this super easy and healthy salad, I proposed this.
My husband isn’t exactly a kale guy, but he knew that there was plenty of other food for him to eat if he didn’t want the salad.
This salad is simple to make and can be done without a whole lot of concentration, and everyone can joke about how you are giving the kale a good massage.
The verdict: thumbs up from everyone. In fact I even got a thumbs up the next day because apparently it made great leftovers too.
That’s my favorite thing about kale. Aside from being nutrient dense and just plain good for you, it’s also pretty hearty in terms of consistence and holds up well when prepped in advance. This is actually a good one to make for meal prep as you can enjoy it for a few days.
The rest of the story: my sister-in-law has what I would consider a dream kitchen. Modern, open, lots of surface space. Multiple people can be making different things without getting in the way of each other. The only think I really needed the stove for was the quick toasting of the almonds. The joy of a gas cooktop is something I can’t describe (since our kitchen is the original harvest gold electric cooktop and is now on it’s last burner). We have been on the hunt for a gas cooktop that would fit in the same space as our current electric one — it’s an odd size. So — we’ll planning a big kitchen remodel! Stay tuned for more as plans take shape.
With all the food prep I’ve been doing, I’ve really started to enjoy spending time in the kitchen. I’m looking forward to inviting clients in for some experimentation with healthy recipes in the new year! Goodbye harvest gold!
15 minPrep Time
3 minCook Time
18 minTotal Time
- 1 large bunch raw kale
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup sliced raw almonds
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Sea Salt and Ground Pepper to taste
- Pecorino, parmigiana or asiago cheese, shaved (optional)
- Remove stems from kale and slice into thin ribbons.
- Massage with lemon juice to soften the leaves and cut the bitterness.
- Combine kale and olive oil in a large bowl.
- Massage until kale softens. Drain any liquid released from the kale.
- Toast almonds in skillet over medium heat until they begin to brown.
- Add the almonds and tomatoes to the kale and toss.
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Top salad with shaved cheese (optional).